So my lunch was just okay. I got these whole wheat pita pockets, the whole one is 140 calories. But I was UNABLE to get the pockets open! Ggrrr! So I ended up making a ham and swiss sandwich out of it, but even with my jalapeno mustard, it was a bit dry. I ended up throwing out the top half and having an open face sandwich. Along with 100 calorie pack baked Cheetos, my zero point Mexican soup and baby carrots with ranch dressing.
But then about 3:30, I got totally hungry, so I reached into my goodie drawer and had this:
This morning while I was getting for work, I put three chicken breasts in a pot of water, turned it on high and took a shower. When I came back (about 10 minutes later) the water was really boiling! I took it off the heat and let it sit in the hot water for about 20 minutes. Then I put it in a ziploc bag and stuck it in the fridge til tonight.
Here’s the broccoli cheese layer (recipe will be below!):
Then add the diced chicken as the second layer:
Then here’s how its looked after its baked!
I served mine over two ounces of cooked egg noodles. I can never figure out the carbs/calories because on the package it has the stats for uncooked. I realized afterward that I probably could have had a little bit more noodles. Oh well!
And I had a side salad:
Chicken Divan (from the Eating Well Diet Cookbook)
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon exra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced leek (yuk! left this out, but you can add it if you like!)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons all purpose flour
- One 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (again, yuk, but add it if you like!)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 10 ounces fresh broccoli, cooked (I precooked mine in my microwave)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- Poach chicken breasts, it takes about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and slice into bite-sized pieces.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add leak and salt and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add flour; stir to coat. Add broth, milk, sherry, Italian seasoning and pepper and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Add broccoli and return to simmer. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup grated parmesan, mayonnaise and mustard.
- Spread half the broccli mixture in the prepared baking dish. Top with the chicken, then the remaining broccoli mixture. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/2 cup paremsan cheese. Bake until bubbling, 20 to 25 miutes. Let cook for 10 minutes before serving.
I ended up doing the last 5 minutes under the broiler to melt the parmesan cheese a bit better. This one is a keeper! Not only because it tastes great, but each 1 1/3 cup serving (very generious!) comes in at:
- 312 calories
- 11 grams fat
- 19 grams carbs
- 35 grams protein
- 4 grams of fiber
Nutrition Bonus: 70% of vitamin C, 35% of vitamin A, 30% calcium, and 19% folate)
Stats for the Day:
- 1364 calories (my daily goal is 1450, so I have a 90 calorie snack coming tonight!)
- 47 grams of fat
- 89 grams protein
- 143 grams carbs
- 14 grams fiber
- 35 minute elliptical
- 15 minute walk with the dog
And I drank 60 ounces of water today! Um, I guess you can tell you are dehydrated when you drink 40 ounces of water and never go to the bathroom!
After putting my stats in calorieking.com, it said “too much fat for the day!” Oh well, I think its a great start!
See you tomorrow!