This recipe was in my EatingWell cookbook. I adapted it a bit because I didn’t have any whole wheat flower flour, and I left out the butter. I felt that the olive oil would be enough fat.
Savory Breakfast Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (or EVOO for Rachael Ray fans!)
- 3 ounces diced Canadian bacon
- 2 ounces grated Gruyere cheese (or your favorite cheese)
- diced roasted red pepper (optional – I only made one with red pepper)
Preheat the oven to 400. Combine all the dry ingredients in one bowl, and the wet ingredients in another. Add diced bacon and cheese to wet mixture and mix well. Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients. This took me a while to incorporate, but stick with it. The dough mixture will be really lumpy. Mine took exactly 20 minutes to cook, but start checking around 15 minutes. Let cook for 5 minutes before removing. Mine made 13 muffins.
- 180 calories
- 6.0 fat
- 23 carbs
- .75 fiber (would be LOTS more with whole wheat flour, and if you use whole wheat, only sub 2 cups)
- 7.2 protein
Paired with 4 ounces of vanilla yogurt, 1/4 cup of my homemade granola and 1 teaspoon smart balance:
So the snow wasn’t bad, now its just arctic air – the temp this morning was 9 degrees, but with the windchill, below zero. Spring. . . where are you??
So Biggest Loser is on tonight – is anyone going to join me in the jumping jack challenge?
See you at lunch!