One of the things I like most about Cincinnati chili is that there are no huge chunks of tomatoes (it uses tomato sauce as its base) and I leave those damn onions away! And I love the flavor combination with the cinnamon and allspice!
The first time I had chili mac was at a Steak and Shake – with spaghetti, cheddar cheese and kidney beans. Now you could add diced onions to yours if you are weird and like onions!
Cincinnati Chili adapted courtesy of CooksCountry!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cidar vinegar (love this!)
- 1 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1.5 pounds 85% lean ground beef
- Heat heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, oregano, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper and allspice and cook until fragrant – about a minute. Stir in chicken broth, tomato sauce, vinegar and sugar.
- Add beef and stir to break it up. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until until chili is deep brown and slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Season with salt if necessary. Keep refrigerated for three days or frozen for up to 2 months).
So this batch made 9 cups so I made each serving 1 1/8 cups which comes in at:
- 283 calories
- 20 fat
- 8.1 carbs
- 2.1 fiber
- 17.6 protein
I made my serving with 6 ounces of cooked spaghetti, one serving of chili, 1/4 cup light kidney beans and 1/2 ounce cheddar jack cheese:
Stats for the Day!
- 1393 calories
- 51 fat
- 156 carbs
- 33% of calories from fat
- 22% of calories from protein
- 45% of calories from carbs
- Day 20 of 30 day shred
- 5 minute treadmill after shred
- 20 minute walk with Ed after dinner
- 10 minutes of putting together the garbage and recycle – I am counting that as exercise!
Off to make quinoa, spinach zucchini lasagna for my lunch tomorrow. This comes out really good in my head – hopefully it will turn out okay!
See you in the morning! 😀